History of Corinth Baptist Church
"The Voice, The Vision, The Victory"
In 1926, the Rev. J.L. Battle, inspired by God, founded the Corinth Baptist Church. Along with a small group of believers, Rev. Battle set up the first worship site for Corinth Baptist Church on 21st Street, NE in Washington, D.C. Rev. Battle later moved the church to 6th & P Streets, NW, and then on to 1212 9th Street, NW. In 1940, after 13 faithful years of service, Rev. Battle was called home to rest. Shortly thereafter, God sent the late Rev. Walter Gray, who served for two years as Corinth's pastor.
Rev. Levester T. Rice was elected Pastor of Corinth Baptist Church in 1946. Under his leadership, the church moved to the following locations in Northwest Washington, D.C.: 908 M Street.; 1015 M Street; 1214 9th Street; 2107 10th Street; 1502 14th Street; 5th & P Streets; and back to 908 M Street. Rev. Rice's vision was for Corinth to have a permanent home and in 1969, God allowed him to see his dream come true.
The Church was moved to 914 D Street, NE, the property was renovated, and this location became Corinth's home. After serving God's people for 26 faithful years, the Lord called Rev. Rice home to rest in 1972.
The Lord continued to bless Corinth with great men of faith to lead his people. After Rev. Rice's passing, Rev. Thomas Wright served as the church's acting pastor for one year. Additionally, Rev. Robert Wooten and Rev. Gentry served as Associate Ministers. God, in His Wisdom, truly blessed Corinth with our current pastor, Rev. Roosevelt Dickens, who answered the call to ministry in 1972 and was elected as pastor the following year. We were also blessed to receive our loyal Assistant Pastor, Rev. Milton White, and experienced the true wisdom of Associate Minister, the late Rev. Dr. John Floyd Rice. In 1995, God made the calling to the ministry from among us and chose to elevate Deacon Almond Dickens, Sr. (now Rev. Almond Dickens, Sr.) and Missionary Shirley Rice (Rev. Shirley Rice). In recent years, Rev. Lonnie Alfred and Rev. Vera Hamer chose Corinth as their church home and joined the roster as well. The newest additions to our Ministerial Staff are Min. Willie Smith, Min. Dana Gerald and Min. Earl Webster.
During Pastor Dickens' leadership, the Lord increased our membership and Corinth served as a saving station in the Capitol Hill community for nearly 20 years. In 1988, Pastor Dickens heard God's voice and received the vision that it was time to move on to new horizons. He shared this vision with the church and thus began our journey to the Promised Land. We moved to our temporary location with Elder Walter Rollins and the True Gospel Church of God in Christ at 4913 14th Street, NW. We are eternally grateful for the love and support of Elder Rollins and True Gospel for opening their arms and doors to us.
Through much praying, fasting, and believing in the vision, Corinth was blessed to purchase land at 814 Cypress Tree Drive and an adjoining building at 5812 Juniper Tree Lane in Capitol Heights, Maryland. In April 1996 on Easter Sunday, Corinth established its new worship site in the newly acquired building on Juniper Tree Lane. We were clearly seeing God's promises come to pass and in March 2002, our groundbreaking ceremony was held on the future site of our new sanctuary.
On the first Sunday in October 2004, we triumphantly marched in and occupied our new church edifice here at 814 Cypress Tree Drive. Surrounded by family and friends who joined us to witness this great occasion, we shouted, praised God, danced, and shed tears of joy for the victory given to us for our faithfulness to Him.
Today, our focus is on expanding community evangelism and future plans to build a Fellowship Hall and The Corinth Baptist Church Business Center. We are eternally grateful for God's goodness, grace and mercy as we continue our earthly work towards Kingdom building.
Former Pastor and First Lady
Rev. Levester T. Rice & Missionary Lillie C. Rice
Corinth Baptist Church
914 D Street, N.E., Washington, DC
Pictured from left to right:
Rev. Milton White, Pastor Roosevelt Dickens, Rev. Shirley Rice and Rev. Almond Dickens, Sr.
Corinth's New Sanctuary